Thursday, September 26, 2013

VISA TO THE USA - could they be a little more helpful and efficient?

I have heard applying for a US visa is a big problem and it didn't used to matter much for me to find out what they meant by that. I guess it is me...being the type who does not really bother about things unless it happens to me. Thus when it was the occasion to get one, I discovered what people had said about it being difficult is not an understatement. The realization of how difficult it could be starts to unfold.And now it bothers me.

What I have also realized though, is the distinct difference between the Japanese website and the American website regarding their honest disclosure of what an applicant needs to prepare, particularly in terms of evidence to bring for the interview. In the Japanese embassy website, there are enough information and advise on what to bring to facilitate a smooth process of the visa. I thought they were too meticulous to the point of appearing difficult. But I knew exactly what to bring; documents such as bank statements, flight details, evidence for purpose of travel, address and telephone numbers of where to stay during your visit, etc. So many things that I thought, maybe the Japanese do not want me to visit them. If I did not have a conference to attend, I might just not bother.

Now, with the American visa I thought it would be less bothersome. On the website they advise you on the standard things like passport, letter of appointment, proof of payment (RM500) and a photograph of yourself. Well, if these are the only things to bring then it's going to be a breeze, right?

Not so.

I wonder if they are a little bit too suspicious. Too afraid.
Of people going to the USA. Or of people outside of the USA.

But even if they are, why didn't they say so on the website?

Why not explain that one needs to bring: EVIDENCE TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE NOT A POTENTIAL ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TO THE US of A? or to provide documents to PROVE THAT YOU ARE NOT A POTENTIAL THREAT?

Would it be easier to just tell your visitors that apart from the standard passport and stuffs, advise them to also bring:

1. bank statement
2. tax statement
3. marriage certificate
4. birth certificate
5. proof from your employer
6. proof from your school (if you are a student)
7. proof of your relationship i.e. if you are visiting a relative
8. pictures with the relative in your home
9. family tree to show relationship
10. evidence of financial support from family
11.boyfriend/girlfriend proof of relationship

so that the applicant doesn't have to waste RM500 for the interview, and train tickets from their home to the embassy wherever that might be.

As for me, it's RM65 train to and fro and another RM500 for a re-schedule.
And two wasted travel days.
Times two for two trips.

How helpful do you want to be to your visitors?

I guess this teaches me a lesson for today. Be like the Japanese. Be insufferably meticulous, it's a hallmark of efficiency.

I don't think the Americans are being helpful and efficient.
Not when people have to redo things all over again.
And spend a considerable amount of money
to get it right, when they could
avoid this by
being efficient.






No comments:

Post a Comment