Friday, November 15, 2013

Do you know who you are?

Who are you? is probably one of the most common questions found in any language. Of course, those studying semantics would argue that "who are you?" are just characters, words that give certain meaning in the English language, but something which does not make any sense to those who do not know the language.

Like, how do you know what the word "c-a-t" actually means? If said to a non-speaker, would "cat" conjures up the image of something flurry, a domesticated creature that would rub itself against you for want of food?

Ok, say "kucing"...
see, for non-Malay speakers, the word doesn't make sense, does it?

Say, "pusa'k"...
for Sarawak Malay speakers, that's cat,

and then say "seng"...that's cat in the Kayan language.

Still, those are just characters, words that may not mean anything except to those who read the language.

Now, if I asked "who are you?", what would your response be?

Would you give your name?
You might even venture to provide me with many other information such as your place of origin, the course you are studying or who you are as a professional and so on.

These information are but only some indicators of who you are, your identity as a human being.
Our identity is however much more than just those few information.
Think about it.

I said,
I am who I am,
Not anyone else,
but me.

And you,
are who you are,
one who is not me.

But,
who are you,
really?
and me,
Who am I?




No comments:

Post a Comment